10 things you should know about CORBA¶
Intended audience: developers, Programming language: all
- You don’t need to know CORBA to work with TANGO
- CORBA is the acronym for Common Object Request Broker Architecture and it is a standard defined by the Object Management Group (OMG)
- CORBA enables communication between software written in different languages and running on different computers
- CORBA applications are composed of many objects; objects are running software that provides functionalities and that can represent something in the real world
- Every object has a type which is defined with a language called IDL (Interface Definition Language)
- An object has an interface and an implementation: this is the essence of CORBA because it allows interoperability.
- CORBA allows an application to request an operation to be performed by a distributed object and for the results of the operation to be returned back to the application making the request.
- CORBA is based on a Remote Procedure Call model
- The TANGO Device is a CORBA Object
- The TANGO Device Server is a CORBA Application